Each year, one of my goals is to read twelve new books over the course of the year. Most times I end up reading more than that, but my minimum is twelve. I don’t have any intentions to read one book a month, but instead, to read as I find the time, and complete my list by the end of the year.
This year, I’ve chosen books in six different categories in an effort to broaden my scope of reading a bit more. I mean, I could fill my time reading fictional novels or literary classics all year long, but then I wouldn’t have as much time for other genres that stimulate the mind in different ways.
2019 Book Categories
- Personal Development – Because I want to continue to grow into a better person
- Herbalism – Because I am an herbalist, and books are a convenient way to continue learning from others
- Memoirs – Because we can learn a lot from other people’s lives
- Fiction – Because we can all use a break from reality from time to time
- Spiritual – Because this is a foundational area in my life that shouldn’t be neglected
- Parenting – Because who doesn’t need a little help, direction, and encouragement in this area!
2019 Reading List
Below is a list of books I’d like to make my way through this year. Yes, there are thirteen, but I just couldn’t decide which to cut from the list so I left it as is. My goal is to read twelve books, but if I can read thirteen, then that’s even better!
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James and David Thomas
Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson
Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family by Paul David Tripp
I’ll also be listening to some fictional series audiobooks this year, but I’m not counting this towards my reading goal as listening to these is usually very sporadic. Sometimes I focus on reading one book at a time, and other times I find myself reading multiple books at once. It really just depends on how into the book I am. I will say that I rarely read more than one book from each category at one time. If I’m reading multiple books, they’re usually on different topics.
Anyway, this is my reading list for the year. Here’s hoping I can make it happen!