When it comes to making healthy real food meals for my family… I’m always learning, and I never feel like I’m doing a good enough job.
Can you relate?
I still have processed food cravings. I still struggle with making and sticking with meal plans. I’m on a sliding scale with the good-better-best list.
It’s tough. Habits, especially bad ones, are hard to break. Thankfully life is a journey, and I can definitely see improvements in this particular area compared to 5 years ago (even 3 and 1 year ago as well).
One of the biggest areas of struggle I have is breakfast.
My newest “real food” switch has been to ditch the breakfast cereal (yes the “healthy” ones) in exchange for made-from-scratch breakfasts. Even though that was a year ago, I’ve found that I’m not a “get up in the morning and make a large homemade breakfast” kinda mom. Unless it’s a holiday, birthday, or some other special occasion, I just don’t have the desire to get up and go through all that. Plus, did I mention that I don’t have a dishwasher in my house? Yeah… so I’m not up for tons of dishes in the morning either!
No matter, I’ve learned how to make several different types of breakfast that are simple, fairly quick, and healthy. Recently I’ve even tried dedicating each day of the week to a certain type of breakfast food which stays the same week after week. For example, Mondays we have oatmeal. It’s not the same oatmeal recipe every week, but oatmeal is quick to make, healthy, and there are lots of variation. So far this new method is working pretty well for us.
Wednesday’s in our house is some sort of egg breakfast. Of course it can have veggies, meats, sauces, etc. in it, but the idea is that it’s heavy on farm fresh eggs.
Today I wanna share one of my families favorite egg recipes with you. This recipe is for a Crustless Sage Quiche, and it’s great on its own or with a little salsa and sour cream on top! Bonus points for garnishing with fresh cilantro as well!
Crustless Sage Quiche
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten (preferably straight from the chicken)
- 1 Tbs all-purpose flour (this is the brand I use)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tbs freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs heavy cream (I use our raw milk cream)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs refined coconut oil (use unrefined if you don’t mind the flavor)
- Combine the eggs and flour in a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the coconut oil.
- Grease a 6-inch round baking dish with the coconut oil and pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven for about 30 minutes, until risen and set but still soft.